This recipe is part of a collaboration with Over the Moo.
With layers of Republica Organic flavoured chocolate coffee biscuit, creamy vanilla ice cream and raspberry Frangelico jelly, you’ll want to dig deep!
Preparation time: 45 minutes (plus chilling time)
Ingredients: (all available at your local Woolworths)
- 300mL of Republica Organic Timor Ground Coffee
- 500mL Over The Moo ‘Vanilla Bean Missing You’ Ice Cream
- 175g chocolate ripple biscuits
- 25g dark chocolate
- 1 punnet of raspberries (reserve a handful for garnishing)
- 125mL cold water
- 125mL Frangelico liquor (for those looking for a great non-alcoholic alternative try hazelnut syrup!)
- 60g caster sugar
- Crushed roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
- 500mL almond or soy milk
- 1 vanilla bean pod or 1 tsp of vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp custard powder
- In a small pan, dissolve the agar agar powder in the cold water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiled, add in the sugar and the Frangelico or hazelnut syrup. Pour the mixture into the intended serving glass and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Disperse raspberries evenly in the jelly and allow to set before proceeding to step 2.
- To make the custard, lightly heat the non-dairy milk in a small pan on low heat. Remove the vanilla seeds from the vanilla bean by slicing it down the centre and scrapping out the seeds. Add it to the warm milk along with the bean pod. Alternatively, you can mix in vanilla bean paste. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the vanilla flavour to infuse for 10 minutes. Whisk in the custard powder. Heat the mixture back up, continually whisking until thick. Set aside to cool.
- Dip the chocolate ripple biscuits in the coffee and lay the soaked biscuits over the jelly layer. Layer alternating chocolate soaked biscuits and custard until both ingredients are used.
- Shave the dark chocolate and set aside.
- 15 minutes before serving, take the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer and allow to sit in room temperature for 5 minutes. Pour out an even layer of softened vanilla ice cream over the trifle. Decorate with shaved chocolate, crushed roasted hazelnuts and fresh raspberries.